My sister Dani asked me about a month ago if I would be interested in riding in this all-women's relay bike ride that was 160 miles, 8 legs from Snow Basin to Midway. It sounded fun, but I hadn't been on my bike in years...like 7 years. It was a good reason to dust it off and with the help of Jonathan, it was in tip top working condition. I only got in 2 training rides before we the event, but it felt really good and was really fun! Our team was made up of me, my sister Dani, and my two sisters-in-law Jenni and Lena. We wanted Tara to join us as well, but it was a little tricky with her nursing Benson.
We decided to sleep over in Ogden so we wouldn't have to get up sooo early on Saturday. So we all met up at Pizzeria Limone for a little birthday dinner before we headed up to Ogden.
It was an absolutely beautiful morning.
Lena started us off with her leg from Snowbasin to Eden.
We got lots of compliments on our cute polka-dot Goldilocks jerseys.
Pine View Reservoir
Lena making her way around the reservoir
I took Leg 2 from Eden to Morgan.
Me going up Trappers Loop, a 6-mile hill, but that made for some fun downhill time.
Dani took Leg 3 from Morgan to Henefer.
Right after this picture was taken, we came upon a really bad bike accident. A small biking group was coming the opposite direction when an older gentleman named Paul hit a rock which sent him sliding into a ditch full of rocks. Jenni and I ran over there and luckily there was a fellow bike rider who was an ER trauma nurse. She kept his neck stable as we moved him out of the ditch onto the road. There were two police officers who came up on the scene almost immediately and had called for an ambulance and a helicopter. Another bike rider came up who was a flight nurse and offered her help as well. They were working at keeping his head still. His hip was badly injured and his bike clothes were pretty much shredded off one side of his body. He was conscious, but not alert, and clearly in pain. It felt like it took forever for the ambulance to get there. When they finally did, they got him stabled in the ambulance before the helicopter gracefully landed on the canyon road. I was soooo wishing I had my phone in my pocket to take pictures because it was pretty cool. After he was on his way to the hospital, we carried on our relay.
Jenni was up next on leg 4 from Henefer to Hoystville.
Jenni & Echo Reservoir
It was soooo hot!
After this point, we decided to multi-task and catch up since we were slowed by the bike accident. Lena rode Leg #5 from Hoystville to Oakley. I did Leg #6, an out and back from Oakley to Smith & Moorhouse and Dani completed Leg #7 from Oakley to Heber.
Jenni completed the last leg from Heber to Midway where we finished at the Homestead.
That post-race meal tasted delicious! I couldn't wait to get out of my stinky, tight bike clothes.
We did it! And, surprisingly, we had fun too! May be doing this again next year.








No comments:
Post a Comment