Okay folks, I may be hosting a small Christmas Eve dinner at my house. I would like to know what your family traditionally eats on Christmas Eve...including dessert. Growing up we usually had something different every year, but always had trifle for dessert. Jonathan has put in his vote for twiced-baked potatoes...but curious of other traditions out there.
9 years ago
I would have to say that asparagus bundles and ramaki are two that come to mind. Gimme your email address and I'll forward them to you. Ramaki is waterchestnuts wrapped in bacon with an amazing sauce and asparagus is wrapped with bacon in phyllo dough...promise it's great!Your lil Addy makes me laugh--she says such funny things!
ReplyDeleteMy family does a crab leg/steak dinner. Then chocolate fondue for dessert. Last year I brought some Belgium chocolate back from Europe. And I now have found it HERE in Salt Lake. If you need info on it, let me know.
ReplyDeleteWe have two traditions for Christmas Eve. When my parents host it we have enchiladas, tamales, rice & beans, etc. All homemade traditional mexican food - I can't recall if we have a traditional dessert or not... When my aunt and uncle host it they have a couple of different kinds of soup (I've made the PenCourt's enchilada soup for this a couple of times), croissants and ham, turkey, etc and cheese for sandwiches, and cheese fondue with veggies and stuff. Then for dessert they have chocolate fondue.
ReplyDeleteSo here is a sugary dessert idea. My family always had broken glass salad. Hardly should be classified as a salad though. Basically alternating layers of gramcracker (wow I need to learn to spell) three different flavors of jello cubes and whipped cream.
ReplyDeleteWe do soup and salad on Christmas Eve. Usually Broccoli Potato and Chicken Noodle. My mom usually makes Peppermint Ice Cream Pie ( 1/2 of a container of Peppermint ice cream plus 1/2 container of coolwhip mixed together and put in an Oreo pie crust and re-frozen). Very yummy! Good luck!
ReplyDeleteFun for you!:-) We do the traditional thing, honey baked ham, "jonathons" potatoes, lion house rolls, veggies, jello salad, and a yummy signature drink cranberry juice with sprite. For desert a chocolate cake (mom's bday)! I'm sure whatever you make it will be fabulous!
ReplyDeleteHi. This is Emi Ishikawa. Do you remember me? Thank you for your christmas card to my parents! They are really glad to hear from you. They hear the lessons from missionaries once a everyweek now. and seems my mother decided to get baptized, when her back is going to be better. She got compression fracture so she can't walk long and sit long. but it is getting better little by little now. My father also has tried to quite smoking. They are doing great. They pray and read a book of Mormon everyday. I saw your blog address so I had tried to check this. I also have a blog but well, it is in Japanese, ha ha ha. so if you could see Japanese on your computer, check it out. well, I got married last year and I am still waiting for the visa, so I still live in Osaka, Japan. I think I could go to america around this coming April next year. well how is your japanese? Do you still have a chance to talk in it? I am sorry I haven't talked about christmas meals..so new baby is coming in May? You all look great as before. I am glad to hear from you. You live in Utah now? I will live in North Carolina. If you have a chance , visit me anytime. and I want to visit you sometimes. well, Have a wonderful Christmas and A happy new year. Addy is really pretty isn't it.
ReplyDeleteWe do rouladen which is thinly cut steak that you pound out with bacon, onion, & a little mustard rolled up in it. Then you flour it brown it and cook it and serve with a gravy. It is seriously delicious. We also do twice baked potatoes, rolls, and jello. The thing my kids like best about Christmas Eve dinner is we have it by candlelight on our nice china.
ReplyDeleteThis is the most clever idea you will get on this post. Since I married into a family of two boys they shop every 24th as tradition(laziness or basketball) and they ended up getting a pizza for Christmas eve. I know it is so clever you just can't stand it. But I have adopted it because I only ask for fried ham and eggs on Christmas morning. And I don't want to cook two nights in a row. Hope you have something great call me if you need my recipe!:) haha
ReplyDeleteLove Tracy
Cute Christmas card by the way!