March 17, 2010

Oh No You Didn't!

When Jonathan and I were dating, I was totally falling in love with him and my Mom would call and ask me about him and what I thought and if I loved him and all of those questions moms ask.  I would gush about how he made me dinner and left a cute note on my car and then I'd follow it up with a whiny, "But Mooooom, he's in my ward!"  For some reason, I just couldn't get over how nerdy it was to be from Utah and to have to answer to the question,
"So how did you guys meet?" 
 "Oh, us?  We were in the same ward at BYU" for the rest of eternity. 
Pretty much didn't get any worse in my mind.

My Mom told me to "swallow my pride" and get over it. 

I did.  And boy am I glad I did.


So I have to say, that I've had those same feelings come back, and my Mom's voice has been echoing in the back of my head.  Jonathan used to joke about buying me a minivan and I would say "ha, ha...NO WAY!"  I refused to be a minivan mom.  Not sure why exactly, I mean a minivan is much better than the station wagon I was toted around in, and would be much roomier than my current car.  I think I just wanted to be much more stylish.  So, we just kept saving money for that car purchase.

Well, 2 kids later, I was still driving my Honda Civic.  With both Jonathan and I coming from the taller gene pool and two car seats in the back, it was a bit cramped...we just really enjoyed not having a car payment and didn't want to make any decisions until we had the cash to pay for it.  (We know, we're weird.  Dave Ramsey will do that to you.)   We had our sights set on some smaller SUVs, but when I really thought about it, a minivan was the way to go.  (Can't believe I'm writing this)

I mean...doors that open and close by themselves. 

DVD player.

Lots of room, for all our cousins and friends. 

Doors that open and close by themselves.

Decent gas mileage. 

Did I mention the doors?

So, after hearing my Mom in the back of my head saying, "Miki, swallow your pride," and realizing that I was just being stupid, and thinking of all my super cool friends that drive them...I have to say, that I am pretty darn excited to blog that I am a proud owner of this beauty. 



And I'm pretty sure I look pretty hot driving it.

So to my friends with much more stylish SUVs, if you ever see me sporting "mom" jeans...an immediate intervention would be appropriate.   

As for that car pool?  I'm in!

14 comments:

  1. love love love my van. I will never go back and my doors that open and close by themselves are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're going to LOVE IT!!! I became a minivan mom last November and I am happy you have joined our fold. I will admit, yours is hotter than ours but having to buy it while still in school meant I had to swallow my pride and not get the Honda I really wanted. However, my doors do open and close by themselves as well and it is SWEET.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I am so much like that, too (thus why I don't have a minivan... and by the way, I LOVE my Acadia) But I do wish for days of doors that slide open (by themselves) instead of doors that swing open (and hit husbands car in garage), and that the kids can't shut cause it is so heavy. So, although I don't want to admit it... someday I may join that group.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I'll be driving from now on.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you may have just increased our property values. Can you park it in your driveway instead of in the garage? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. When we have kid #3, I'll be getting one of these. Can't do it yet 'cause Ben's going back to school (grad school), but after that I'm SO in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I have that exact same car so I'm pretty sure I agree with you on ALL of it! And the verdict after almost 2 years as a proud mini-driving mom? I LOOOOVE it! I don't even realize it's a minivan unless I'm walking towards it. Otherwise, when I'm in it, it feels like a luxury vehicle! I'm a huge fan. You may have even read way back when, all my deliberations and conclusions I posted once upon a time on my blog!

    AND I met my husband in my ward! Except we actually met on the stairs one day at our apartment complex so we always say we met at our apartment complex. It works for us! :)

    Happy driving!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We swallowed our pride and picked one up this last spring-I was under strict orders by my husband I was not allowed to blog about it. haha-I really do love the mini!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my. i am not sure if i should say sorry or congrats! i guess both! dave and i actually test drove a van and laughed so hard we cried. we just couldn't do it. you are a brave, brave soul. but you can also rock that beast! whoo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I must say only this...I am totally jealous.

    When you are toting around kids and cousins and stuff, a Van really is the ONLY answer.

    I know people think they are being all stylish by having an SUV with a third row or whatever, but its the same thing. The unstylish part of the equasion is the kids. It really doesn't matter what you are driving them around in, and that's the truth. Plus this way, your kids won't bash the heck out of my doors when we are parked next to eachother at dance or T-Ball or whatever the future holds. I just hate when little kids have to open big SUV doors and the ding my doors. Sliding automatic doors are so much more stylish and thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Justin was so mortified the first time he drove through our old neighborhood last year with our mini-van. He felt sooooooo uncool; he was blushing. Now even he loves it! So convenient and you're right: doors that open by themselves?? DVD player for trips? All that room? How did we ever do without? CONGRATS!!

    As far as embarrassing and cliche meet-your-husband stories, I married an elder from my mission. That's always fun to confess, especially when I feel the overwhelming urge to insist that it was NOT a scandal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the reference to Dave Ramsey! That cracked me up. I've felt the same way about the mini van but with three kiddos I have a feeling we won't hold out much longer. Your new ride is looking good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been so bad at checking blogs lately. You have posted so much! Congratulations on the van. I've had one for 5 years now and am ready to move on... the problem is I have the same dumb idea about paying cash for a car and can't seem to part with the $50,000 I need to buy my next car:)

    ReplyDelete